Here’s your chance to ask Sheree your most compelling questions! 

Q: I tested my urine and the litmus paper/pH strips indicate that I am very acidic. What can I do? 

 A: There are several fast ways to impact your pH readings, but remember, the real secret is to stay alkalized over the long term. If the average of your seven-day urinary pH level is between 6.6 and 7, that’s good. Remember that stress can make you acidic, as well as some medications and certain intestinal infections, such as yeast or parasites. If the remedies below don’t make an impact on your pH levels, consult with a holistic healthcare provider who can help you find the cause of your imbalance.  

  • Increase your intake of dark colored fruits and green vegetables. Nearly all are alkalizing.  
  • Reduce or eliminate high-protein foods, artificial sweeteners, sugar, coffee, tea and alcohol, which produce high acid levels.   
  • Each morning, drink the juice of a half lemon in water. Lemon is naturally alkalizing.  
  • If you eat meat, choose fish and lamb over beef and chicken for less acid-forming animal protein.  
  • Use buffered vitamin C powder—about one teaspoon per day in water—before bed to alkalize your body.  

Green drink powders can help balance pH. These products, which feature ingredients such as wheatgrass, barley grass and chlorella, can be mixed in a glass of cold water or diluted juice.  

Q: It turns out that some foods I thought were healthy are acidifying. Does that mean I should not eat them?  

A: Just because a food is associated with an acidic pH, doesn’t mean it’s unhealthy. I don’t suggest using pH as the sole criteria for diet decisions. Many acidifying foods such as blueberries, quinoa and pecans offer an array of health benefits. The key is to create an eating plan with an overall alkalizing effect on the body, while at the same time getting a variety of nutrients.  

Please remember that your health is your own responsibility. Nothing here is to be construed as medical advice. This information is not meant to replace the guidance offered by your health practitioner.