Now that we know the importance maintaining an optimal pH balance, you might be wondering how different foods impact your blood chemistry. Here is a handy list to get you started.
pH (potential of hydrogen) is a gauge of the acidity or alkalinity of a solution. It is measured on a scale of 0 to 14—the lower the pH the more acidic, the higher the pH the more alkaline (or basic) the solution. When a solution is neither acid nor alkaline it has a pH of 7, which is called neutral. Note that a food’s acid or alkaline-forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. Lemons, for example, are very acidic, but the end-products they produce after digestion and assimilation are alkaline, so lemons are alkaline-forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so—like nearly all animal products—meat is acid-forming.
Remember, just because a food is classified as acidifying, doesn’t you should avoid it entirely. You simply will want to balance your choices.
The list is not exhaustive and is not intended to replace your medical practitioner’s advice.
- Sweeteners: NutraSweet, Equal, Aspartame, Sweet ‘N Low
- Fruits: Blackberries, Cranberries, Prunes
- Nuts and Seeds: Peanuts, Walnuts
- Cereals and Grains: Pasta, Pastries, Wheat, White Flour
- Meats: Beef, Pork, Shellfish
- Dairy: Cheese, Homogenized milk, Ice cream
- Beverages: Beer and Soft drinks
- Sweeteners: White sugar, Brown sugar
- Fruits: Plums, Processed fruit juices
- Nuts and Seeds: Sunflower seeds, Pumpkin seeds
- Cereals and Grains: Brown rice, Spelt, Sprouted wheat bread
- Meats: Cold water fish, Venison
- Dairy: Raw milk, Butter, Buttermilk, Cottage cheese, Eggs, Yogurt
- Beverages: Tea
- Sweeteners: Raw honey, Raw sugar
- Fruits: Avocados, Bananas, Cherries, Peaches, Pineapples, Oranges
- Nuts and Seeds: Chestnuts
- Cereals and Grains: Amaranth, Millet, Quinoa, Wild Rice
- Meats: None
- Dairy: Goat cheese, Goat milk, Soy cheese, Soy milk, Whey
- Beverages: Ginger Tea
- Sweeteners: Stevia
- Fruits: Grapefruit, Lemons, Limes, Mangoes, Papayas, Watermelon
- Nuts and Seeds: None
- Cereals and Grains: None
- Meats: None
- Dairy: None
- Beverages: Herb teas, Lemon water